Friday, October 10, 2008

No More Circus Cookies

(AP) An Oakland cookie company has closed its doors for good.

After operating in Oakland for 92 years, Mother's Cookies shut down when its parent company filed for bankruptcy protection Monday.

Plant officials told workers Friday that operations would cease and cookies would no longer be made at the plant.

In filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware, company officials cited rising prices for raw materials and fuel.

The closing comes after Mother's had shifted its baking and distribution operations to plants in Ohio and Canada in 2006.

4 comments:

Dan-Eric Slocum said...

Though I've had to lay off the cookies for a few months--- I've kind of relapsed into my sugar habit.

So any sugar, cookie company going out of business breaks my heart.

Colleen said...

Good! That frosting will literally freeze your heart solid.

Contact Travis said...

i LOVE circus cookies....this is a sad sad day :(

suzy said...

Danski...Quick! Go out and get a bag before they're all gone! Bring them to the hospital for your ailing Mama. I never eat them, but I love them. If I did buy them, I wouldn't leave the bag alone, so I don't. When I was a kid, our neighborhood bakery actually made them, so there ya go.....back to my childhood...and, yep, I know they aren't good for you.