So to paint the scene for you, I'm sleeping on the roof of a hostel called the "Citadel" inside and looking over the Old City of Jerusalem. I woke up this morning before sunrise to hear the calls to prayer by the various mosques in town. I fell back asleep and woke up again to see a beautiful sunrise overlooking the Mount of Olives and the Mount of the Rock. Anyway, I woke up this morning, made breakfast, and then began my walk to the otherside of town.
I toured the Mount of Olives (where Jesus wept over the city and went up to pray on a regular basis) as well as to the Garden of Gethsemane (where Jesus was betrayed by Judas with a kiss and taken from to be executed). We also walked through thousands of tombs and ancient remains from several thousand years ago. After lunch today (in which I had a fallafel), we are planning the rest of our day today and tomorrow. Today will probably be walking the steps of the crucifixiton, as well as a trip to the Dead Sea. On another note, the food is amazing and I would come here simply for that.
Thursday, June 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Wow, Skiff, walking where Jesus walked---that is amazing. Your experience already sounds incredible! Can't wait to hear more. And.. you're up when I'm up---3:57am!
Your journey sounds amazing, and now I am craving a flafel. Grecian Corner, here I come!
who needs pictures...your descriptions are painting great pictures... all that 'theatre of the mind' you learned in writing for radio is paying off!
I started re-reading "Kitchen Confidential" the other day, and that got me thinking that one of my favorite things about traveling is the food.
I'd love to hear more about what you're eating over there.
You finally ate fallafel!! Was it goooooood? I bet it was!!!
Post a Comment