Thursday, June 12, 2008

Something Strange...



I've known for most of my life that the world's three largest religions collide in one spot called Jerusalem. But reading a textbook does not prepare you for seeing it in real life. Quite honestly...its really strange. Every morning the sound of cries to Allah fill the streets of Jerusalem. It is so loud, everyone wakes up (whether they want to or not). The prayers (which sound like a mix of beautiful music combined with the voice of a screatchy pre-puberescent teenage boy) dwarf the sound of birds and conversation. Then a few minutes later, church bells ring throughout the streets. My hostel is located across the street from the Church of the Holy Sepulchre (inside shown above) where Jesus was crucified and ressurected. Those bells ring loud, long, and proud. Then a few minutes later the Jewish Quarter lights up with sounds of music and dancing. It really is a strange mix.

Today is off to the Dead Sea (didnt make it there yesterday), Ein Gedi (where David wrote most of the psalms) and Massada (where Herod built a huge complex and is the site of where hundreds of Jews killed themselves to avoid capture). Oh and more about the food coming tomorrow. Yes Colleen, the falafel is amazing. Even though I love it, the Grecian Corner cannot compare!

2 comments:

suzy said...

I can't imagine what you are seeing, hearing and experiencing. Thank you for letting us experience just a little bit of it with you. I loved your descriptions of the 3 religions, something we don't think about in those terms. Oh, and the food. Mmm. Put some pounds on that slender build of yours :o) Oh, your mom told me to remind you not to forget to use your sunblock. Hee, hee. Love you. Can't wait to see those pictures!

Kristin said...

Hey Dan that sounds amazing experiencing those three religions at once. I've never heard the call to prayer before, but I would like to. It sounds like you are really having an amazing time.