Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Help, I Need Somebody...

I am an immediate need of some book reccomendations. I leave for my trip on Monday and am hoping to snag one or two books to bring with me for the long plane ride there and back. I am generally most interested in A) Politics B) Outdoor Adventure or C) Faith and most specifically Christianity/Judiasm. Any ideas?

4 comments:

Dan-Eric Slocum said...

I vote for Jerusalem by Karen Armstrong.

It's a bit dense and laden with information, but STUNNING. It is the definitive history of Jerusalem with no religious bent.

I would at least bring it along.

The only copy I have is my heavily marked-up hardcover- or I would offer to loan you a copy.

Call the downtown Barnes and Noble and see if they have it.

I'm just saying. (I keep forgetting that I've banned myself from using this expression.)

Contact Travis said...

Ann Rice of Interview with the Vampire fame had a sudden conversion back to Christianity 5 or so years ago and since she's been writing 'fictional memoirs' about Jesus.

The first book 'Christ the Lord, Out of Egypt' begins when Jesus is a small child and they're returning home from Egypt.

The second book is called 'Christ the Lord, the Road to Cana' and Jesus is an adult...and just beginning to realize he's the Son of God and what that means.

Both are set in the places you are going and both are vividly written. Christian or non-Christian they are compelling reads.

danielskiffington said...

Interesting suggestions. Thanks. I appreciate it.

Kristin said...

the book "Joshua: A Parable for Today", by Joseph Girzone, has been highly recommended by my mother, and others who have read it. It's about a "modern day" Jesus and how people in his town treat him. I've heard its a beautiful read.