Sunday, June 15, 2008

Q & A

Q: Don't you find it striking in the Old City that the Church of the Holy Sepulcher, the Western Wall, and Temple Mount (Dome of the Rock) are all within a few hundred yards of one another? The three Abrahamic faiths intersect in that very spot in a huge way and have, of course, for centuries. There is an incredible energy there, not necessarily religious, but certainly spiritual relating to all the souls who've come as pilgrims to that very crossroads. I always feel that energy when I'm there. Is it too esoteric to ask if you feel it too?

A: Eric, I am contiually fascianted by the three major religions so close together. One second you see a Hassadic Jew crossing the street, next to a Catholic nun, next to a Muslim Cleric. I'm not sure I "feel the energy" so much as its so interesting to me to see everyone interact. I really wish I knew someone on the inside, meaning someone who has lived in Jerusalem for a long time. I have so many questions to ask. But in the conversations I've had with people here (both tourists and people who live here), one thing is clear: people come here for a reason. This is not a place you just happen to stop by. It's not like Caifornia where people go just to go. People come here on a mission. Many Americans come to tour the footsteps of Jesus. Some come here to work in Palestinian refugee camps. Others come here to interact with the other major faiths. Regardless, everyone has a purpose. It's been interesting to see.

Q: Have you grown accustomed to all the machine guns? and searches?

A: Eric, you know, it was weird at first in Tel Aviv. We went to this great restaurant on the beach and the security guard had his weapon in plain view. For those of you that dont know, this is common in pretty much all public areas including malls, banks etc. It was even more weird to see members of the military carrying weapons...especially because their so young and the guns are so dang big. One thing I have noticed, security tends to centralize in Muslim/Arabic neighborhoods. For instance, here in the Old City of Jerusalem, I see many officers/miliary members in the Muslim Quarter, but few in the Christian/Jewish quarter. But I'm getting used to it now. It's kind of a weird paradox. In one sense, I'm glad they are there. In the other sense, its sad they are needed in the first place.

Q: Skiff I have a question? Is Tyler eating more than just bread and peanut butter? Will you please make sure he eats? If he doesn't want to spend the money tell him I will buy him at least two to three meals and he can give me the bill when he gets back...just make sure he's eating, okay? Thanks Skiffy! :)

A: Kim, be happy to know Tyler is eating more than peanut butter. We did have a conflict (or as SPU calls it, a care-fron-tation) about such matters, but all is well. Yesterday we went for a sandwich/salad/espresso, today we had fallafel/fresh squeezed orange juice. He's doing well. I think he's also comforted by the fact that things will be crazy cheap in Egypt, so is okay to spend money here. P.S., I loved the e-mail about Rouner. Classic.

Q: Are people who live in Jerusalem scared? hopeful? Tentative? how does it 'feel' as a city? I'm always captivated by how a city 'feels' ... the emotional temperament of the people who live there as an almost collective experience.

A: Travis, I would say people are most definitley not scared. It is very common to see Jews in the Muslim Quarter, Christians in the Jewish Quarter etc etc. I have also traveled to Arabic neighborhoods and see a wide range of people there. In fact, it seems Jerusalem is a good example of how people can live in peace with one another. While it might be cheesy, a lot of the vendors in the area have shirts that say something along the lines of Jerusalem: City of Peace. I think that is the general consensus. It's also interesting because the city has such an amazing mix of old and new. You see a four-thousand year old tunnel one minute, and the next you see people carrying their laptops and watching CNN International. It's a great place and as for me: I've felt completly safe the whole time. Now its your turn to visit.

Q: Can you please have dan-eric-slocum, someone I happen to like very much, refrain from referring to all those machine guns, etc.? I know your mom reads this, too.... :o) Actually, I think I'd feel safer in a weird sort of way. I know Rachel feels comfortable living there. Ask kp if she will pay for some of your meals, too.....just kidding. I have someone in mind who will, if you need extra $$. Can't wait to read what you'll write about next. Love!

A: Mom, you will have to take it up with dan-eric-slocum about his choice of words. But I would rather have police with guns than terrorists or what have you. I think Kim is generous and would probably pay for my meals. I don't think you should though becaus you/dad have been plenty generous paying for a 30-thousand dollar a year college. But I will be sure to e-mail you if I'm in need of cash. If I wont, you know Brian will! :) Love you. Say hi to Dad, Brian, Granny, Gracie etc.

Q: My buddy Chris (whose blog I sent to you) mentioned that when he first saw the Dome of the Rock he started crying...at least until the guy next to him essentially said "suck it up, Nancy." What's been the most emotionally stirring moment for you so far?

A: Jon. I'm not really sure. I've seen and experienced so much in such a short amount of time that sometimes its hard to take in. I havent gotten so emotional as to cry yet, but there has been some moving experinces. There are two places in the city that could be where Jesus died and was buried. One is in a church in town, the other is outside the city near the Muslim quarter. While most scholars/archeologists believe it is the one inside the city, the "Garden Tomb" outside the city is breath-taking. Inside I saw people speaking at least 10 different languages - representing the diversity of Christinaity around the world (rather in the Northwest, which generally consists of rich white people). It was crazy to experience that. Very emotional. Even those in my group from the hostel who are not followers of Christ found it to be very moving as well. But even just looking at the City from my hostel or from the Mount of Olives is a moving experience. There is so much life, so much hope, its hard to describe via words.

6 comments:

Contact Travis said...

thanks Dan for the great answer...and YES YES...it needs to be my turn soon.

Dan-Eric Slocum said...

Dear Dan's mom. Honestly, I think Israel is one of the safest places a person could possibly travel. There is such a military presence and so much security- I always feel extremely SAFE when I'm there. And I agree with your wonderful son- the people there are actually peace-loving for the most part. It's pleasant- not tense atmosphere. But, for what it's worth- my mom always worries when I'm there. I think it's a mom thing.

Kristin said...

Keep posting Dan! It's great living this vacation vicariously through your writing.

suzy said...

Dear dan-eric-slocum. Thanks for your reassuring words....I KNOW it's a mom thing, but can you blame me when I have such a great son? :o) He amazes me!
(Doesn't every mom feel that way?)

Danielson....Graduate Application....

Haven't heard any more from Rachel, so I'm hoping you guys can connect again before you go to Egypt. Talked to Jarod's father-in-law at Adriane's wedding yesterday, and he said the same thing about the traffic there. Crazy! Love you.

Dan-Eric Slocum said...

Dear suzy: Your son is tops in my book and he has a LOT of fans at KOMO, too. We want him back ASAP! After a great trip, of course.

suzy said...

Dear dan-eric-slocum. Love your REAL first name, by the way :o) Thanks for your kind words about Daniel. We, too, hope he ends up back at KOMO. He has gained a tremendous amount of experience working there, and of course you heard the story about him wanting to be part of KOMO since he was about 6 years old, right? He has amused us with a lot of funny stories :o) and met some great people as well.