
I love how scripture commands a day of rest. I love even more how the people of Israel (at least here in Jerusalem) take it seriously. I woke up this morning to head to my favorite restaurant in the Jewish Quarter for breakfast. To my surprise, I found it (and pretty much everything else) closed because of the sabbath or shabbat in Hebrew. Later in the afternoon, I took a taxi to the train station to take a day trip to Tel Aviv. To my surprise, the trains were closed there too. After wasting about 50 shekels (or about 15 dollars), I finally figured out sabbath is a big deal here. It's been amazing to see. Instead of working in grocery stores or restaurants, the Jewish people spend time praying at the Western Wall or outside with their kids. As someone who practices a sabbath back home in America, I very much appreciate a large group of people who celebrate community in their daily lives. I wish people in the U.S. felt the same way.
3 comments:
God knew what he was doing when he rested on the 7th day.
Shabbat is a very lovely day in Israel. Peaceful.
OK. Now I'm going to sound OLD (er), but years ago, stores were all closed here on Sunday as well. I think it would be great if it was still that way.
P.S. I can't wait to see you float. You always sank, with no extra fat on you! :o)
Post a Comment