Thursday, September 25, 2008

Cafe Fiore and Seattle Coffee Culture

I just returned from spending a couple of hours with a friend reading and journaling at Cafe Fiore in Ballard. It's located along Leary in Old Ballard. It was my first time going, and it will certainly not be my last. It has one of the best atmospheres of any coffee shop I've been to. Its walls are made of brick, floors of dark wood, chairs of leather, and has awesome lighting and paintings on the wall. I got a vanilla latte and I have to say it was one of the better I've ever had. Even better than Zoka which is my favorite coffee shop (at least until now). Speaking of coffee, I think coffee culture in Seattle is quite depressing. Everyone sits alone, typing away at their laptops, with their iPods blaring in their ears. I always seem to go with friends and get "the look" for being too loud. Seattleites seem to have a want for community, so they go to coffee shops. Yet they fall short when it comes to communication, eye contact, and a friendly smile. It's always seemed odd to me and I seem to be noticing it more and more. So the next time you're at a coffee shop and you hear a loud laugh from the corner, it's probably me.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Better than Zoka? I need to go there! And I would definitely smile at you, Dan!

Kristin said...

I agree with you, that a coffee shop should be a place to gather with friends and even meet NEW friends. Unfortunate people are all caught in their electronic bubbles.

Char Beck said...

flip bro, i wish i was at fiore although i did find a mons coffee shop here called "cafeto ronda" and it only costs $1.50 for a mocha, SO MUNS!!!!

suzy said...

So, Char.........Have any trouble deciding what to have? You know a mocha or, um, let's see..............I'll have a MOCHA today!!! Miss you.