The moment I've been waiting for is over. Governor Sarah Palin delivered her speech in front of the RNC tonight. Regardless of my opinion of her policy ideas, she did an amazing job for it being the first time before a national audience. She came off as smart, funny, and professional. It is also interesting to note her constant reference to Ohio. I learned today on CNN that it is virtually impossible for a Republican campaign to win an election without Ohio (right now things are in a dead heat). But the real questions is: will her speech fly with the voters? Will her attacks against Senator Barack Obama (many which are probably subtle to the average American) poll well? As an analyst for PBS said today, "I cant remember the last time I actually heard a bad acceptance speech at a convention." So it should be no surprise that's what we got tonight. But what will happen in the future? Time will tell
Wednesday, September 3, 2008
Well..Whaddyya Think?
The moment I've been waiting for is over. Governor Sarah Palin delivered her speech in front of the RNC tonight. Regardless of my opinion of her policy ideas, she did an amazing job for it being the first time before a national audience. She came off as smart, funny, and professional. It is also interesting to note her constant reference to Ohio. I learned today on CNN that it is virtually impossible for a Republican campaign to win an election without Ohio (right now things are in a dead heat). But the real questions is: will her speech fly with the voters? Will her attacks against Senator Barack Obama (many which are probably subtle to the average American) poll well? As an analyst for PBS said today, "I cant remember the last time I actually heard a bad acceptance speech at a convention." So it should be no surprise that's what we got tonight. But what will happen in the future? Time will tell
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
She started out a bit rocky, but once she found her stride she did a good job. She's pretty good as the 'asides'
the speech itself left me a little cold (policy aside) ... I was expecting a little more connection.
But I think she answered her critics and she really played up her small-town roots.
Curtis (who's Canadian and doesn't care much for American politics) however said, "She sounds like someone running for the local school board, not the vice presidency."
I'm really interested to hear what my mom thought...she's the suburban middle of the road mom vote...exactly who McCain has to sway to win.
Interesting perspectives, Travis. I would also be interested in hearing about what your mom thought. Neither my mom or dad watched the speech (although they promise to tomorrow), so I'm waiting for their reaction, too.
I was asleep so I'll have to watch it later today :)
I think she came across very smart and savvy....about Alaska.
I was a little concerned for her political future when she so strongly attacked "Big Oil", even though their corruption is well-known in her state. It seemed as if she was really distancing herself from the Bush years. But, she also killed the chance of having big oil money to fuel her campaign. Maybe she can do it without the money.
But I really think her speech will help prepare her for her run for president in 2012, or 2016.
By the way, did anyone notice how much McCain was shaking and looking very old when he came on stage to congratulate her? I was concerned.
Lisa, I noticed that as well. He wasn't looking very good. It's also very obvious he cant raise his hands very high (is that from his time as POW?). Interesting points regarding the big oil slams.
I didn't watch her speech, but my Republican Grandma thought she came across as polished, feminine and strong. However, my Grandma hasn't decided who she'll vote for yet.
Post a Comment