Monday, July 7, 2008

Media Hype or Valid Story?

For the first time this summer, I have literally spent the last 24 hours doing NOTHING! I have watched more CNN and CSI in the last day then I have in the last year. Today's big story is the not-so-emergency landing of Senator Barack Obama's plane. Being an avid supporter and critic of the news media, it got me thinking: is his unscheduled landing really a big story? I definitley believe it's worth covering, but not as the first (or second, or third) story in a broadcast. NBC Nightly News had a reporter on the story tonight as did many of the other networks. What do you think?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/07/07/obama.plane/?iref=mpstoryview

2 comments:

Kristin said...

I don't think its a story. It's worth mentioning, but NOT having a reporter on. I think the media glamorized it as an "emergency landing", when it was FAR from that. They didn't even find any big problem with the plane. Wayyyy too much hype.

Contact Travis said...

I think its a legitimate story and one most people who pay attention to the news (and even many who don't) were talking about today.

Sure I wish we had more 'policy coverage' on the networks, but this could have been pretty serious...and I think it was worth top story coverage...especially as the producers were stacking rundowns and the other lead choices were? ummm... yea.