Friday, May 30, 2008

Here's A Question For You....

We all know Republican President George W. Bush is not popular among a majority of American voters (http://www.pollingreport.com/BushJob.htm). We also know the Democratically-controlled Congress is liked even less (http://www.pollingreport.com/CongJob.htm). Which begs the question: Since both are unpopular among Americans, does a particular party have an actual advantage in the upcoming election? Many say the Democratic Party does. What do you think?

5 comments:

Contact Travis said...

Its easy to say you dislike 'congress' in general..but ask the same people what they think of their specific democratic senator or representative and numbers and approve ratings are nearly all well above 50%.

Just look what happened in the special congressional race in Mississippi.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-congress14-2008may14,0,3175806.story

advantage: dems (big time)

Colleen said...

Yeah. I'm going to have to agree here, Travis has a good point. I'm going to point out a more superficial one. President trumps Congress; Disapproval of the President trumps disapproval of Congress; President is Republican ... solution is democrat.

Does that make sense? It does in my mind. Haha.

Dan-Eric Slocum said...

I say this is going to be a freaking roller coaster ride. Any way you look at it the vote is split right now almost 50-50 (in most polls) in a D vs. R match. It's no less split than it was 4 years ago or 8 years ago.

Horse race down to the last minute. And we won't even REALLY get a sense of who is favored until well after Labor Day. Just my two cents.

danielskiffington said...

Travis: That is a very good point. I would be interested in seeing a break-down of approval ratings for individual members of Congress (both Democratic and Republican). Colleen: As long as it makes sense in your head...that's all that matters. :) I think I see your point though. Eric: I have to agree with your statement the most. It just seems to be too much of toss-up to declare one way or another. If there's anything I've learned about politics, its that I don't know much. Times change...polling can be inaccurate, events will come that change the course etc. Have a good weekend everyone.

Contact Travis said...

here are some new polling numbers for individual races along with pretty decent analysis.

http://thehill.com/campaign-2008/
early-polls-suggest-dems-can-take
-many-gop-senate-seats-2008-05-27.
html

http://news.aol.com/political-
machine/2008/05/27/polls-gop-
in-trouble-2008-election-
democrats/

(when you cut and paste the links you'll have to make sure you get the whole thing)