
Actually two fears: one started as a small child, one has developed over time. The first is understandable, the second is weird. When I was about four years old I was playing soccer in my parent’s backyard. I was running to get the ball when I tripped into a small hole. It turns out that hole was FILLED with yellow jackets. Dozens of them swarmed around my head. They were in my shoes, under my shirt, crawling in my ears. I started SCREAMING at the top of my lungs. Not a yell, not a cry, but a SCREAM. My neighbor came first, then my dad. I remember him ripping off my shirt and they were crawling all over me. I don't know how many times I was stung, but it had to have been at least 40. Over the years, the fear has subsided quite a bit, but I still get taken a back when bee's come at me out of nowhere. My goal is to wipe out an entire bees nest someday. Call it sweet, sweet revenge.
Now for the second fear. I must start by apologizing. This might offend some of my more politically correct friends. I have a deep and seething fear of midgets. There: I said it. It's out in the open. If I ever run for president, you can take this blog and use it against me. For some reason, they scare me. My mom, friends, and everyone in between tell me this is "mean." I understand. But that doesn't make the fear go away. It all started with a dream some years ago that I was being attacked in my sleep by a midget with large knives. It got worse after watching the movie Chucky. Ever since then, it's been bad. I hope you'll forgive me.
5 comments:
Daniel. I think there is a legitimate psychological profile for those who fear "small people."
This is nothing to be embarrassed about.
It's funny-- because-- well, it's just funny. But honestly, phobias can creep in to our lives and they can be POWERFUL and even irrational.
I don't mean to sound like a shrink-- but you're perfectly normal.
And for the record- I'm scared to death of bees, yellow-jackets, wasps-- all of the winged stingers.
I had a similar bee experience fishing when I was about 10. I was at a lake fishing from the end of a dead log...I walked back to shore and stepped directly into a rotten spot on the log that was a yellow-jacket nest.
That's how we discovered I am deathly allergic to bees....luckily my parents were there and I got to the ER before my throat swelled entirely closed.
As for other odd fears: don't feel weird...I get panicky around Styrofoam (no seriously, I do)
Bees, I get. What an awful experience. I can't imagine. Now....about the midgets... It's probably strange to remember a dream so vividly, from so long ago.
I wonder what it's connected with? Hmmm......perhaps your parentws were considering a younger brother or sister, and you were afraid of being cut off from their love by a new baby? Hmmm..... I veel haff to tink about diss......
For some reason, the fear of midgets part cracked me up. We all have irrational fears, and who knows what's behind them. Maybe it would help if you watched that midget show on PBS. Or watched Austin Powers over and over.
No, we definately didn't want anymore kids after waiting 11 years for Daniel, even though he was worth every minute of the wait! Mother and son nearly died.
(True)
And so why did you have that poster of Mini-Me on your bedroom wall for so many years? You thought he was great!
Midget, midget, midget......Boo!
Love you. :o)
Post a Comment